Beware of the Venus Fly Traps


For those who dare approach the door
for candy and other Halloween lore,
Be very careful and quick on your feet
Or these Venus fly traps will make you their treat!







I can't believe that I keep forgetting to show you all the crown jewel of our outdoor Halloween decorations.  I saw them on Hallmark Home and Family (my favorite morning show) last year and I knew that I had to make my own.





They were actually quite easy and inexpensive to make. 

To make one of your own you will need: 

1 large carvable pumpkin
1 tree branch
x-acto knife
duct tape
green spray paint
hot glue
Moss/ bugs/ birds

I took tutorial photos... but I have no idea what happened to them so I will just explain the process.  It's simple.

1. Start at the BOTTOM of the pumpkin and carve the mouth.  I drew mine on with a sharpie marker first.   You can start by drawing an oval on the very bottom..  and go from there.

2. At the top of the pumpkin - you cut a hole in the stem -  this is where you will attach the (upside down) pumpkin onto the branch.

3.  Attach the pumpkin/stem to the branch.   Use duct tape ( lots of duct tape)  to secure it in place.   You can also use duct tape to attach extra twigs and vines now .

4.  Spray paint the whole thing green

5.  Using hot glue or wire,  add moss, bugs and birds.

* I wanted the mouths to light up so I poked a tiny hole on the "head" and added the top of a garden solar light to it so that the tiny light fits through the hole.

I put mine in my flower urns but you could add a spike to the bottom and put them in your yard.













Happy munching


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts