The DIY Kitchen Island

Oops.  It's April and I don't have a blog post up!

I've started this post a while ago and it just sat.

I've had so many things going on that I wasn't sure which to post about.

And dang, Time is flying by!


First,  I hope that you all had a happy Easter.   We had a great day here.

Easter Sunday was also our oldest daughters 30th birthday so we had a fun birthday/Easter celebration.

Also,  I can't believe that we are parents of a 30 year old.   It's kinda freaky.  












As I mentioned in the last post,  I did paint the dining room and I am halfway through spring cleaning. 

It will probably be summer before it's done.  And....   I swear,  I need to do-overs already!

If  you are on my social media than you already know how obsessed I am with my latest project.

I am sitting at it now and I will repeat it...

I. Freaking.  Love. It.

You wanna see right?

I have wanted a "real" island in the kitchen for sometime.   Unless we are dying eggs or carving pumpkins,  we never all sit around the kitchen table anymore.   Anyhow,  I've been watching lots of DIY tutorials on how to build one using kitchen cabinets and while I liked them,  You know my style is a little funky.  I wanted it to be unique.   A few years ago I saw an island made from a dresser and that's always been an idea in the back of my mind.  So, along with the cabinets, I've also been searching for the perfect dresser ~  just in case. 

Not mine..  but isn't this cute!   And all of those drawers for extra storage! 
























A few weeks ago, while on another hunt for supplies that I would need to make something,  Michelle and I stopped into one of our favorite little consignment shops and a piece just jumped out at me.   Every about it was perfect.    Look at the baby drawers at the top.  I loved it!!   I didn't buy it that day, but I thought about it all night long and I went back the next morning and bought it.






ladies at the shop just thought I was a little bit crazy when I told them what it was going to be.  How could they not see my vision!!

You wanna see it?

First,  here's a look at the old kitchen table -  which I still love.

























Not the greatest picture,  but its a great reclaimed wood table that was made by veterans.

No worries,  the table was going to go to good use.  I'm not completely getting rid of it. 

I disassembled it and the table top got sanded and restained .

  you know where I'm going with this! 










I saved the feet and base ~  I know I will think of something to use them for.

I can't wait for you to see my new island

Before I show you,  I will tell you that I originally planned to paint it white.  I know that green is in style,  but I really wasn't sure about it.   We decided to keep everything as it was and it changes the look of the whole kitchen.    And,  wait until you see the pot-rack clock that's been hanging in the kitchen for years - it pops now!!

Okay,  enough babbling..   You wanna see it?






















Now.









I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!

Note:  I still need to paint the back of it.

What do you think?  doesn't it change the room completely!  

AND that's just one of the things that has been keeping me busy.   

Tonight I'm going to do some planning in my new planner,  catch up on some bible verses and possibly take a nice long soak in the tub.  That sounds awesome!

Hope that you all are well and enjoying some beautiful spring days.
xo

ps.  sorry about the weird spacing.

Comments

  1. How awesome. Never heard of utilizing a dresser for an island, but this is perfect. We did use an old dresser for our bathroom sink though. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it! What a clever idea! And you were smart to keep it green, too! It really pops and your kitchen looks awesome! Love the clock pot rack too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it - fantastic.
    For my kitchen island I have an old counter high table with a shelf on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love it.
    Looks great! Enjoy.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it too, Leslie, you did an awesome job, Your kitchen is beautiful, like you, I have been busy with projects too, and haven't had much time for blogging.
    Thanks for sharing, have a great week.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a genius idea! I love it and it really does change the whole kitchen. I was thinking, why even have a kitchen table if you have such a nice, large dining room table? But now you can still fit the two of you on the island for a quick meal or snack. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you be able to share the color/brand of green paint you used? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts