Skelly takes a trip



 Eeeek!!! Is that a Spooky Scary Skeleton?





















It's okay,  it's just Skelly looking for his relatives






That's right!   Sally and I took Skelly on a little road trip to the tiny family cemetery that sits neglected in the middle of our neighborhood.    We could have walked,  but lets be real ... 
  2 blonde white girls walking with a skeleton in this Baltimore neighborhood -  Not a good idea!
























The Biddison family cemetery has been here since the late 1700's and has almost 75 graves,  some of them unmarked and many of the beautiful tombstones have been knocked down and lay under the overgrown ground cover.  It's very sad,  what has happened to this place ( to this city that I grew up in).

Skelly felt right at home as he rested his rickety bones against the tree. 









It's oddly beautiful isn't it.    I love the old fence.



I wonder what is brave enough to live in that tree...


You may have seen us visit this cemetery before.  Paul and I used to stop here when we would take the atv out for a "snow ride".

No Skelly!  I will not rub your feet!!

He's such a ham!





And of course,  he didn't want to leave so we bribed him with this red balloon.




It took a lot of searching but I finally found more information on The Biddison family and some of the history of my neighborhood.    This article was published in the Baltimore Sun in 1950 and,  if you are from this area, it's a very interesting read.  I enjoyed learning more about the family who's remains still rest here. 




Hope you enjoyed Skelly's adventure.






Comments

  1. Hey! So, I just now received a blog comment you left me back in August on my Renaissance Faire blog post! I have no idea why I just got it in October... Anyway, here's a belated "hello" :) Looks like I have good timing to check out your blog! That skeleton looks quite natural in the cemetery. I had fun posing a skeleton frog around recently. He was a souvenir from a Colorado trip, so it was a fun way to document the scenery. This is a nice, old cemetery you guys visited. Looks like there were lots of cool grave markers to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so awesome to read!
    I loved coming along on your road trip!
    I am fascinated by old graves and cemeteries.
    I always wonder about the people and the lives they lived.
    Have a spooky weekend!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Skelly had a fun day out! Love the pic with the ghost:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and sad old cemetery.... sigh...

    Lovely to photograph it. For posterity.

    Love the line; "We could have walked, but lets be real ...
    2 blonde white girls walking with a skeleton in this Baltimore neighborhood - Not a good idea!"
    Very open and descriptive, of present times. -sigh-

    And so is; "It's very sad, what has happened to this place (to this city that I grew up in)."

    You tell it like it is. And the "is" is so sad. -sigh-

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thank you for the search information, on this area! Love such!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame about the cemetery being so overgrown. Neat place to visit though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting article and
    Skelly's adventure was fun.
    Saw your previous post. The "traps"
    are great!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Love the picture with the balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just seeing this article. Thank you, it was very interesting. I was telling my daughter about the Biddison family that lived next door to us on Corse Ave. (Which turned into Echodale.) She started asking questions about them that I didn't know the answers to, but thought I'd do some research. My cousin lived by the cemetery. We used to pass there when going to the little neighborhood convenience store. Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts