Federal Hill - Baltimore

 


I had some errands to run downtown the other morning, 
so while I was down there I took a walk on Federal Hill.


From Atop the hill, you can see all of Baltimore's inner harbor.

I used to walk through here everyday as a teen.
Do you see the green building that the cannon is "touching"?


That building was under construction when I was in high school and I would get off at the public bus stop right there and walk the harbor promenade where I would stop in one of the pavilions and get a coffee to go with the cigarette that I smoked on the way to school.

I used to be able to buy "loose' cigarettes back then 
and I would buy 3 cigarettes from the Asian man at the corner store for .10 each.   

one before school,
one in the bathroom during school,
and one for the way home.

(Southern high school is about four blocks behind me)


That tall shiny building on the left seems out of place to me.
There used to be a spice factory called McCormick there 
and this whole area smelled like sage and rosemary. 


This is Revolutionary hero Samuel Smith,
who served as mayor of Baltimore in the 1830's.

I wonder what he's thinking as he keeps watch over the port and city he loved..


At night,  sometimes my friends and I would bring our giant radio boom box and beer
(there was always an older cousin or friend who would get it for us)
and sit up on the hill and sing, dance, drink and have a good ole time in the hue of the city lights and Domino Sugar sign.  

30+ years ago,  this city was a much safer place.
I wish my kids could have experienced the city life back then.
(Not the beer and the cigarettes part)




Hope that you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane.  
It's always fun to reminisce.
And boy,  I could tell you some stories!!  


Also hope that you all are having a great Valentines weekend.

The new dental work that I had done last week has become a painful problem
 and  honestly the head/jaw aches have been so bad that I haven't been able to concentrate on much. 
My books are unread.
Blogs unread.
House messy..  

It's making me crazy!!

Hopefully I will get some relief in the next week and get back to normal.


xo
stay safe and healthy1

Comments

  1. Nice to see all the pictures. I've been there a few times myself. Used to live in Ellicott City and Savage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - new visitor to your blog. I will be back for sure. I have been to Baltimore, but I was with my daughter and grandkids and we visited the part by the children's museum It is sure an interesting place and I would like to go back and explore more. Thanks for this interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts